Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Where's The Other 1% ???

My family would always joke that we grew up in a house where if you came home with a test mark of 99%, our parents would say ‘where’s the other 1%’?

Lately I’ve been really feeling the consequences of searching for the 1% in life.

I think it really hit me when a woman I work with was given a new car by a family member and proceeded to tell me how miserable the whole situation was making her. Why? Because the car she was replacing had sentimental value. We looked at her new car in the parking lot and she stared at it with a frown and a sigh.

Never mind the fact that the old car kept breaking down and costing her a fortune. “My other car was bigger ... I could sleep in my old car”.

A missing 1% I think, in a 99% fantastic situation!

Why do we do this to ourselves??

I do it all the time!! Is it to brace ourselves for the heartache if something does go wrong? Is it so other people don’t get jealous that things are going well for us?

Who knows? But I’ll tell you what: I’m converting to a 99 percent-er! A glass is half full-er! Sure, things are never perfect, but do we have to torture ourselves on top of it chasing the wind to find the missing 1 or 2 percent? Is that how you want to spend your life – in pursuit of the one (%) that got away? Not me.

So, before I ramble on and on, I’ll stop myself and just say that I wrote this to remind myself, and hopefully anyone else who’s reading, that it’s a much more fulfilling way to live to enjoy the amazing things we do have, than to mourn for the things we’ve lost (or never received).

I hope you have a great day & don’t forget to remember all of the wonderful things and people in your life – and I’ll do my best to do the same!

xo Kelly

No comments: