Friday, January 31, 2014

Keratin Treatment

In my most recent (and first) blog post, I said I was going for a keratin hair treatment.

Well, I went...

I know I was curious about the process, so I thought I'd give a little description for anyone else who might be wondering too.

First off, I went to a salon called Salon Miah and Spa http://www.salonmiah.com/ .

My stylist, Kelli, started by washing my hair with a clarifying shampoo to make way for the product. Then was the fun part ;-) She brushed through my freshly washed, conditioner free hair ... ugh. I don't know if you've ever tried to do this, but with long, somewhat bleached hair - it's not a pleasant experience. There were actually two stylists working on me for this part, one on either side of my head, brushing away. Thankfully, they made it bearable and I survived! Woo!

Now it was time for the application.

The procuct itself was a light, mint green, thin gel/cream pictured below.

  
             

It went on like hair colour, painted on with a little colouring brush.

The setup

The smell was not as bad as hair colour ... but not my favourite smell in the world either. I had my friend sniff it and she described it as 'burnt hair smell'. To me it was more like .... fermenting fruit??? I'm not sure. Anyways, not the best smell, but beauty is ... stinky ... sometimes ... ?

Once my hair was covered from root to tip, she sat me under the dryer with a plastic cap to help it soak in.

Next came the blowdry and then a very thorough flat ironing. The heat from the flat iron is what sets and seals the product into your hair.

From start to finish the appointment was about 3 hours - a little longer than we had expected... mainly because I have more hair than she realised!

Just when I thought we were finished, there was one last step: "The Rules".

For the next 4 days:
- No washing
- No product of any kind (including dry shampoo)
- No hair elastics
- No clips/bobby pins

Essentially my stylist told me if you can think of something you'd like to do to your hair - the answer is 'NO - Don't touch it'!

This has been very hard - as telling someone they can't wash their hair and then forbidding dry shampoo is just plain cruel. ;)

I've taken some before and after pics to see if there is a visible difference straight away.

What do you think?



                             
                            
                                                                The Before's



                           
 
                          
                                                                 The After's


That's it for this post!

I'd love to know if any of you have had a keratin treatment, and what your thoughts were.

Or is anyone considering having one done in the future? Straightening or Conditioning?

Talk to you soon,

~ Kelly





4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, as a fellow hair bleacher sadist, I think this is pretty impressive! :D For how long is it supposed to last? I might even bare not washing my hair for more than 2 days if it is worth it :O Btw you have such a lovely blog, keep writing more :)

Salut, SMJ

Unknown said...

Well, it's supposed to last up to 6 months depending on how well you take care of it ... so I'm doing my best.

Also thank you so much for your comment, I really appreciate the encouragement!!

Sara said...

wow it's amazing!

http://mypetitecorner.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Ya, I feel like it really worked!